Truffle Kahuku Sea Asparagus Poke, Furikake Musubi
By Chef Ronnie Nasuti
Tiki’s Grill & Bar
Four 8-oz. grass fed filet mignon steaks
Hawaiian salt and pepper
½ cup Kahuku sea asparagus
½ cup local sweet onion, sliced thin
½ cup fresh ogo
½ cup local grape tomatoes, cut in half
Kukui nut sauce (recipe follows)
Steamed white rice
- Cook the rice
- Prepare the kukui nut sauce.
- Grill the steaks to your liking with Hawaiian salt & pepper.
- Wash, dry and mix the sea asparagus, sweet onions, ogo and grape tomatoes with enough kukui nut sauce to dress it like a salad.
- Form the rice in a triangle musubi mold and dip one side in furikake.
Plate on 4 large plates. Put a grilled steak and a musub on each plate and divide the sea asparagus salad evenly onto each plate.
* I garnish with a few slices of fried Molokai potatoes.
Kukui Nut Sauce
1 cup water
1 cup sweet onion, rough cut and peeled
3 T fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
1 cup ogo
½ cup inamona (the kind for poke)
3 T ryu (Japanese chili-infused sesame oil) or substitute sesame oil w/ground chili pepper
3 T white truffle oil
- Blend water, onion and ginger well.
- Add ogo and nuts, blend. Stir in soy sauce and ryu. (don’t blend soy at high speed as it will foam)
Tiki’s Grill and Bar is located at 2570 Kalakaua Ave in the Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel, 808-923-TIKI (8454). www.tikisgrill.com